It seems as soon as the snow melted summer was approaching us as fast as a Bugatti Veyron, and no breaks in sight. With summer comes summer holidays for all our children, and as much as we all wish we could take summer off as well that's not always in the cards. So many families look to summer camps to help entertain there children over school break.
Finding the right camp for your kids can be difficult, do you know the right questions you should be asking yourself before you send your kid off?
1. Are campers supervised by trained individuals? What level of training do the counsellers have? This is especially important in skilled activities, and any camps that have swimming as an activity.
2. How are counsellors screened for background clearance?
3. Does the camp offer any sort of accident benefits coverage outside of their own Commercial General Liability policy? Ask how injuries that occur during camp are treated and what coverage is offered to campers if the injury is more serious and requires treatment outside of the scope of provincial health care plans.
4. If campers are being transported in camp-owned vehicles or busses, what insurance does the driver hold?
5. Does the camp have an emergency plan in place in case of evacuation or catastrophe requiring all campers to be moved off site?
It never hurts to ask these questions especially when you are to consider giving someone else the responsibility of the safety and care of your children.